- 32,075 SF
- 60 feet tall
- 25,000 SF office space
Long abandoned, the circa 1909 Chicago & North Western Railway Power Station once used coal-fired equipment to provide power to the electric commuter rail line. With its conversion into a mixed-use development, the landmarked Power House has become a destination area in Fulton Market and a model for successful re-use of historic buildings.
HPA created a floor plate within the existing structure that addressed the developer’s program requirements and solved vibration issues stemming from the nearby rail systems. Akin to constructing a ship in a bottle, three new floors were inserted into the original 60-foot tall building to create more than 25,000 SF of office space, a 6,500 SF restaurant and a 3,300 SF café. Careful attention was paid to the human scale as monumental window sills were removed for street level access. State of the art finishes and systems were used, while careful attention was paid in preserving the historic structure and architectural integrity.
AIA Illinois – Crombie Taylor Honor Award
Landmarks Illinois – Preservation Award for Exterior Restoration