The landmarked Chicago Motor Club is under construction and will be adaptively reused into a hotel.
Designed by Holabird and Root in 1928, the building at 68 E. Wacker Drive is considered one of Chicago’s finest Art Deco skyscrapers. It served as the headquarters of the Chicago Motor Club, an automobile association that advocated for traffic safety, road improvements and resources for motorists. Fourteen floors rise above a three-story lobby that features exquisite examples of stylized exterior ornament, period fixtures and a 29-foot-wide mural of popular road destinations by artist John Warner Norton.
HPA is undertaking the architectural design of the building’s conversion from office use into a 143-key select-service Hampton Inn. The property is being developed by MB Real Estate Services, and the design and construction team includes Gettys One, MacRostie Historic Advisors and Walsh Construction.
Hotel rooms will be fitted within the existing steel-framed structure. The project will also entail exterior restoration, including repairing and restoring the terra cotta, stone panels, stone facade, limestone balconettes.
Chicago Tribune architecture critic Blair Kamin profiled the construction project here.